Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Auburn Weasleys have come to Hogwarts.....

The end of an incredibly draining (both physically and emotionally) school year was celebrated by a surprise  for the kids.For almost two months, I sat on a secret about a trip to Orlando.The Auburn Weasleys were finally heading for a visit to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios! It is a known fact that I don't do secrets. I am a blabbermouth that can't stand the suspense of a surprise; I routinely ruin secrets by accidentally slipping out a detail or an unintentional comment.....

But not this time, Ha!

Around Spring Break plans were made, blogs on advice for HP were researched (as we had always visited Disney World, never Universal we were heading for uncharted waters), and reservations were confirmed. With the help of my brother, Ed, Wayne made a video Hogwarts acceptance letter from Professor McGonagall to play on the trip down to Florida. Everything was falling into place and the day of departure (the last day of school) was quickly approaching.  Snags started to pop up, but I knocked them away like a Weasley Twin deflecting a bludger during a Quidditch match.

 Haybug was picked to play her saxophone in a special group for the end of the year awards ceremony held the last day of school. I worried a snag had popped up that I couldn't bypass, but there was no need. After checking about the time of performance it turned out we were not leaving till after it was all said and done anyway! The twins had final exams the last week of school, with the last two days being the heaviest of the schedule. As I watched them suffer and fret, I so desperately wanted to give them something to look forward to at the end of it all. But nope, I held strong and started making my packing lists.

 Two days before departure, the AC in the house stopped working. Fate or dementors were conspiring to keep us home. But, after a little chocolate, and a phone call or two,  we had repairmen come out, diagnose the problem and made the appointment to deal with the situation after we would return home. Dogs were packed up with everything else and headed out on their own vacation to spend time with their doggie cousins and their Uncle Ed. The AC breaking worked to our favor in keeping the secret....we packed up for the trip without having to sneak around, all the while telling the kids we were heading to the Grandparents. No way would we spend 5 days without air condition!

Somehow, some way, I was able to cast a silencing charm on myself and we pulled off a most fantastic surprise on the kiddos. The reaction to the acceptance letter was priceless and the trip was just what we needed. Here are just a few shots of the trip, I took over 700 photos (gotta love digital cameras) of the whole trip, AND not just at Hogwarts mind you. Needless to say,  I am still working my way through organizing them all.
Our first sight of Hogwarts...home sweet home.

We saw this face a lot on our first day in the Wizarding world....here's Jacks waiting for our turn at Olivanders Wand Shop.

Touring Hogwarts for the first of many times.


Jacks yelling "sherbert lemon" to gain access to the Headmaster's office....



Butterbeer!!

Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice...breakfast of Triwizard Champions!

Meeting students of Durmstrang and Beauxbaton (One of many meetings...Cam really likes working on "international magical cooperation" with the Beauxbatons)

The attention to details was amazing! 

This Conductor of the Hogwarts Express was impressive! On our last night at Hogsmeade he was walking around and noticed Haybug sitting down out of everyone's way outside of Hogwarts while we waited for part of our crew to finish a ride. He walked over, and asked if she might happen to be a Weasley. After Hay answered a quiet "yes sir", he proceeded to say: "Well then, you let those twin brothers of yours know if they pull one more prank on my train, I will throw them off ....whether it's moving or not! Cheers! Have a good night!"  Talk about making her night! She loved it.

Jacks packed and ready to stay

Hogwarts at Sunset the first night

Jacks favorite ride...the Flight of the Hippogriff. He rode it dozens of times! And somehow he always ended in the third cart, which according to him is the best seat. We were starting to think we needed to let him pick numbers for the lottery; the kid was on a roll!


How cool to have the whole of Hogsmeade laid out before you.....

Butterbeer! (we may have become just a tad addicted)




Gotta make multiple stops at  Honeydukes....the Chocolate Cauldrons are simply divine! As are the chocolate frogs, peppermint toads, lemon drops......



On our way to have Jacks ride the Dragon Challenge (yes, amazingly he met the height requirements)...in the rush of trying not to hold up the line I chopped poor Jacks off at the chin!) Love this view of Hogwarts!

Waiting in the Owlery outside Dervish and Banges for Hay and Cam to finish the Dragon Challenge....


No comments:

Post a Comment